We welcome model James Mitchell to Yearbook for an exclusive interview and session portraits taken by Nathan Best. Enjoy!
Name: James Mitchell at Red Models
Photographer: Nathan Best
1. Hello. Welcome to Yearbook! How old are you and where are you from?
I’m 19. I was living in Los Angeles but recently moved to New York for work.
2. How did you get into modeling and how long have you been doing it?
It’s a little over a year since Ive been modeling. I never saw myself as a model or cared the slightest bit for it. I got into modeling because my best friend bugged me to do it and set up a modeling account for me. I never checked it but less than a week I received emails from a ton of different agencies from all over and within 4-6 months I signed. I was procrastinating and figuring out if this was something that was worth trying. It took so long to sign because I was pretty sketched out because I never modeled before and didn’t know what I was getting into but modeling has changed my life. It was the best decision ever.
3. What things are you truly passionate about?
Now I am passionate about modeling. I have really grown to love it. Im also passionate about creating things with my hands and formulating ideas. I love to imagine and daydream.
4. What is the most common misconception about you?
That’s is a good question. I don’t really know that answer.
5. What is your heritage/ethnic background?
My father is full Irish and my mother is Irish, Scottish and English.
6. If not New York City, where else would you love to live?
If I wasn’t in New York, I would love to visit Paris, Milan, London, Tokyo or Thailand. Bali or Iceland sounds great too… I want to experience everything!
7. Is modeling mostly work or mostly fun for you?
Initially, modeling was just for fun and I was screwing off a lot until things started to get really serious.
8. Who are some of your favorite music artists?
I grew up listening to Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Arctic Monkeys, Johnny Cash, Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton, Blink 182, MGMT, Led Zeppelin, Sublime, Gandalf, The Doors, Frank Sinatra, Vitas etc. Mainly any type of rock, classical, or psychedelic music. However, since I started modeling Ive had a greater appreciation for rap and pop so I now listen to a lot of ASAP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, Rihanna, Chris Brown, Machine Gun Kelly, Christina Aguilera, Brooke Candy, Miley Cyrus, Usher, Kottonmouth Kings, Katy Perry, T-Pain, Justin Bieber, Mac De Marco, Odd future, Beyonce.. the list goes on and on. Its all over. Basically anything that gets me in a good mood, inspires me and has a good beat. Music is very important to me.
9. Do you go to clubs, and are you a good dancer?
Occasionally I will go to clubs. However if I have a job the night before I will stay in and sleep. I club in moderation.
10. Do you spend more time with friends or with family?
I think I can manage time with friends and family pretty well so I would say I try to spend time with both equally.
11. Along with modeling, would you consider a career in acting?
Yes. I wouldn’t mind doing some acting. Acting is fun!
12. What is both your favorite and least favorite thing about modeling?
My favourite thing about modeling is the traveling and the interesting people you meet that comes along with it. I hate the long lines for casting.
13. As a model, is dating difficult? And if yes or no, tell us why!
You would manage it like you would with your family and friends.
14. What physical feature do people admire most about you?
Oh gosh. this question.. haha. I guess people either like me for my hair, facial structure, height or skin? I always get told something different. People like different things.
15. What is your favorite food?
I’ll eat anything. Im not super picky as long as it doesn’t have globs of mayonnaise or mustard.
16. What is your favorite quote or or famous last words?
“I love you” and “I don’t care”. Powerful words.
17. What are 3 things we don’t know about you?
Three things about me: I used to be very shy before modeling and had major anxiety problems. Second thing, I love animals. I have 6 dogs. Third, I love nature, I love to go hiking and go camping.