Mason Steele at RED was photographed by Nathan Best in NYC exclusively for Yearbook Online, with interview below. Learn more about Mason…
1. Hello. Welcome to Yearbook! How old are you and where are you from?
I’m a nineteen-year-old Canadian out of Winchester Ontario.
2. How did you get into modeling and how long have you been doing it?
I went to an open call in Ottawa at AMTI and have been at it for a little over a year now.
3. What things are you truly passionate about?
I’m passionate about expressing myself through various forms of art.
4. What is the most common misconception about you?
The most common misconception about me is the usual presumption that I’m a hockey player.
5. What is your heritage/ethnic background?
My mother’s French, and my father’s Scottish.
6. If not New York City, where else would you love to live?
If I could live anywhere besides New York it would have to be a tie between Ottawa or Berlin.
7. Is modeling mostly work or mostly fun for you?
Modelling is like work that’s so fun that you forget you’re working
8. Who are some of your favorite music artists?
I like A LOT of music but my favorites are Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Gorillaz, The Beatles, Arcade Fire, and various composers that most people wont know by name.
9. Do you go to clubs, and are you a good dancer?
The club isn’t really my scene, and I’m definitely below average at dancing.
10. Do you spend more time with friends or with family?
I tend to spend more time with friends than my family, however it’s always nice to get to hangout with them.
11. Along with modeling, would you consider a career in acting?
I have considered it many times; I like the idea of creating a new persona.
12. What is both your favorite and least favorite thing about modeling?
My favorite part is meeting someone new on every job, and my least favorite part is all of the waiting you have to do.
13. As a model, is dating difficult? And if yes or no, tell us why!
When I started modeling, all of my friends were saying how easily I’ll get girls. It’s been a year and I don’t think it’s getting any easier. I think its cause I’m generally shy and introspective.
14. What physical feature do people admire most about you?
I get compliments on my eyes almost every time I meet someone.
15. What is your favorite food?
My favorite food has got to be a good bowl of beef soup.
16. What is your favorite quote or or famous last words?
I can’t quite put a finger on any one in particular that I know well; I’m not very familiar with quotes.
17. What are 3 things we don’t know about you?
1. I’m almost always in a state of relaxation and don’t get worked up about anything very easily.
2. I’m a snowboarding enthusiast and also like to go bass fishing a lot.
3. I play the piano, guitar, and drums and I have been since I was about seven years old.